Entry of sales is done in tally in two ways:- 1) As Voucher – It means that bill is not prepared in tally package. The sale bill is made either made manually or in some other software. The accountant prepares the voucher with the help of sales bill then he enters the voucher tally accounting software.
2) As Invoice – It means that invoice is to be generated in tally software and no separate voucher is to be prepared for the same.
A) Entry of Sales ‘AS VOUCHER’
How will you enter the following Sales Voucher in tally program in the books of M/s XYZ Limited:-
|31.03.12||Goods sold to M/s Gift House vide sales invoice number 1 as details given below:-||
|Local Sales Tax||
We shall enter this bill as ‘Sale Voucher’
Following entries shall be made for above transactions:-
Debit Gift House Rs.21000/=
Credit: Local Sales Account Rs.20000/=
Credit: Local Sales Tax Rs.1000/=
(Being goods sold to M/s Gift House as per our invoice number 1100 enclosed)
Note: In above example, we have presumed that the sales bills are not created through tally package. We are just doing the entry of sale bill. ‘Sales Voucher’.
Now, we shall enter above Sales Vouchers in tally as under:
- Open Tally program.
- Select your Company. In our case, we shall select M/s XYZ Limited.
- Select ‘’Accounting Vouchers’ under ‘Gateway of Tally’
- Now, the following screen will appear:-
- Just read all the items written on screen with a concentration. Answers of your all questions relating to voucher entry is available here.
- Presently, you want to enter a receipt voucher. See in right side. There are lots of options available. One of those options is ‘F8 – Sales’. Select this icon with the help of mouse or press ‘F8 key’.
- Select ‘As Voucher’
- Now, select date icon or press’F2’ key.
- A box will show ‘Voucher Date’
- Write the date of voucher here i.e. 31.03.2012 then press ‘Enter’ key.
- Now a blank form will appear. You have to fill up the details as required in that form.
- In Ref., write any thing as required by your management or just press ‘Enter’ key.
- First, in Dr. Particular Column write Gift House. The moment you type ‘G’ a list of account heads started with alphabet ‘G’ shall appear. You have select ‘Gift House’ out of that list.
- In credit amount column write 21000 then press ‘Enter, key.
- In Dr. Particulars press ‘L’ and select ‘Local Sales Account’ out of the list given in right side.
- In Credit amount write 20000 and press ‘Enter’ key.
- Now, in Cr. column press ‘Enter’
- In Credit Particulars press ‘L’ and select ‘Local Sales Tax Account’ out of the list given in right hand side.
- In Credit Amount write 1000
- In narration column write any narration which you think fit then press ‘Enter key’
- Now the screen will be as under
- Finally, Tally asks you ‘Yes’ or ‘No’. Here, you just stop for a while and check that every detail is correct. If there is any mistake then press ’N’ key otherwise press ‘Y’ or press ‘Enter’ key.
- After you press ‘Y’, and all details vanish from the screen and a new voucher appears then you can say that your voucher is entered and saved. After it you can enter another voucher in same way.
B) Entry of Sales ‘AS INVOICE’
We take the above example for invoice purpose. Suppose, we want to make the invoice in tally for above sale, we shall follow the following procedure:-
- First we shall open the voucher entry screen as mentioned above.
- Now, we shall select as ‘As Invoice’
- Fill up the date with the help of ‘F2’
- Write any thing in reference number as required by your management
- Under ‘Party’s Name’ write ‘Gift House’
- Under ‘Sales Ledger’ write ‘Local Sales Account’
- Under ‘Particulars’ write ‘Local Sales Account’
- Under ‘amount’ write 20000
- Again, you have reached in ‘Particular’ column. Here you write ‘Local Sales Tax Account’
- Under ‘Rate’ you can write 5%
- Tally shall automatically calculate the sales tax amount. It has given the figure of Rs.1000/= under ‘Amount’ Column
- Again, you have reached in ‘Particular Column’. This time press ‘Enter’ key.
- In ‘Narration’ write any narration and press ‘Enter’
- Now, tally will ask you ‘Yes’ or ‘No’
- If every thing is all right then press ‘Y’ or ‘Enter’ key otherwise press ‘N’
- Your screen at this point will look as under:-
Your sale bill is created.
If you take the print out of the above sale invoice, this will look like below:-
- Learn Accounting, Free Accounting Tips
- General Accounting Terms
- General Tips Relating to Indian Income Tax Act
- Free Tally Learning
- General Tips Relating to Sales Tax-VAT